How to Apostille Your Utah Marriage Certificate

Congratulations, you got married! Now what?

If you are intending to use your marriage certificate in a country other than the USA, you will almost certainly need to apostille your wedding certificate.

There are two ways to get this done. The first option as outlined below is a DIY process which is usually a bit faster and less expensive than having someone do it for you. The second option is to order your document through Utah County or use another third-party service, these instructions are listed on this page below the DIY steps.

Regardless of how it is done, the process to apostille a document is not online, and can only be handled through printing out paper documents and mailing or shipping the documents to the Utah Lieutenant Governor’s physical office. Their website is here but is not terribly informative about the process. I have tried to make this a bit more understandable by breaking it into steps.

Option One – Do It Yourself

Step 1 – Gathering The Documents

  • Include a printed and completed Request Form from the Lieutenant Governor’s site.
  • Include a printed copy or copies of your wedding license. You can print this yourself from your wedding certificate PDF on a home printer or use a printing service. If you already have your paper certified copy from Utah County, you can send that instead but it is not necessary to wait for it. You may wish to print and apostille two separate copies so that you and your partner will both have an original document.

Step 2 – Payment and Processing Options

There are several ways to pay for your apostille, but first you have to decide how fast you want the document to be processed. These are the options listed on the request form. Any processing time will only be counted from when their office gets the document, which may vary based on how you shipped it to them. See Step 3 below for a discussion on shipping.

Please note that each fee is per document so you need to double the fee cost if you are getting two copies.

  • Normal processing time – 3-5 business days – $20
  • Next Business day (after receipt of the document) – $55
  • Same Business day (after receipt of the document) – $95

You’ll write in your credit card information (they accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express) on the request form and they will process your payment based on your choices when you filled out the document. . Please use a card which you know will have the funds available to avoid delays.
You can also pay via :

  • Money Orders made payable to “State of Utah”
  • Checks made payable to “State of Utah”
  • Cash (please note sending cash in the mail is not advised)

Step 3 – Shipping and return

There are many ways to get your document to their office and to get it back. It is highly advised that you use a service that provides tracking of your document. When you send your wedding certificate and your request form and payment as detailed in the first two steps, your final choice is to decide how to send and return the document to yourself. Please note that you can also “return” the document to any address, including an international one.

In all cases, you should include a self-addressed envelope for the return of your documents.
If you need the document quickly, and to ensure document tracking, you can use a private service such as FedEx, UPS or other postal service like Priority Mail in the USA.

For instance, if you wanted expedited processing, you could FedEx a document with their guaranteed morning delivery which would get the document to their office before 10:30 am on a business day, whereas a postal mail document may not arrive until later in the day and wouldn’t be eligible for same day processing until the next business day. You also need to take into account weekends and holidays. Please note that Utah observes an extra holiday called Pioneer Day which is typically on or near July 24th and all official state offices are closed for this holiday.

Sending the document will change based on which service you choose.

For FedEx or other private courier or service, send your documents to:
State of Utah, Office of the Lieutenant Governor
350 N. State Street, Suite 220
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114

NOTE: If you are using UPS or another service you may need to request a pickup of your documents at their office.

For postal mail or non-courier service send your documents to:
State of Utah, Office of the Lieutenant Governor
PO Box 142325
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114

Option Two – Use a Service

There are a LOT of services out there that will charge you lots of money to process an apostille for you. They can offer you document tracking and somewhat faster service, but they are essentially doing the same thing that you can do yourself via regular postal mail or courier. So it is up to you if you want the extras or just need someone to take care of it for you if you do not have the time to do it. I cannot provide any of those services, which is why I have tried to make it easier to understand and DIY.

Through Utah County Clerk of the Court

You can request an apostille through Utah County. Please note that getting your documents through this service can take up to 15-30 business days to complete. In real time, this can translate to up to 3-6 weeks depending on when you request the documents. The fees are laid out on their page and are likely the least expensive that you will find – however they do not offer expedited services.

Other Apostille Services

These are private services which will do the apostille process for you. I cannot recommend one over the other so please take some time to check them out and decide which is right for you. Many services require printing and mailing a paper copy to them which adds to the processing time, so be aware of that before you pay. The two below accept digital documents.

Here is a list of countries that accept apostille for wedding licenses as per the the Hague Convention of 1961